Monday, April 6, 2009

Well the last week has been pretty busy. I'm right back into the swing of life here and so far so good.

In the past 7 days I have covered a fair few miles on the bike, been caught by some website riding the course of the Tour de Flanders, picked a spot to watch 2 pro races and missed them both times and broken a bike..

It's almost been a month since I arrived in Belgium and I finally got my first full week of training in. I woke up on Tuesday with no pain in my back and it has since stayed away which is encouraging.

I was on my bike almost 25 hours trying to get what form I can before the 18th and the first goal of the season, the under 23 Liege - Bastogne - Liege. The one-day classic that tackles the same steep climbs that was my hunting ground for a lot of last year while I was living in the ardennes. I know the course, the key points, the rest is just hoping I have the legs and the luck.

On Thursday Clinton and I went and had a look over the course for the Tour of Flanders which he will be racing this weekend. Would like to be on the start line to help him as I know the roads and the level of racing well but due to commitments later in the week I will be skipping this years edition.
I ended up with 6.5 hours on the bike that day and because the pros were to be racing over those roads the following Sunday there were a number of media people taking pictures of the key climbs and getting all the pre race condition.

One website caught me out on the course..



On Saturday I pinned on numbers for the first time. There were 204 starters, a lot of chaos and my legs didn't like it too much. Just lacking the high intensity stuff but it will come with a few more races. I ended up dropped after around 80km. Not too worried though, I just needed to get that one out of the way.

Not much else has been happening, except for breaking another bike and now trying to get that sorted. Getting a bit frustrating.

Today has been a nice rest, well except for 30min on the rollers this morning.
So have just been watching Prison Break episodes all day.

Thats all for now

No comments: