Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Wrap

Pretty amazing what a couple of days or even one night can do to you..

The back pain I was feeling seemed to ease and now completely gone.

I decided I had better get in a couple of races over the weekend as I hadn't raced since Bretagne tour and there were 2 under 23 races on pretty close so I went and pinned on a number.

Saturday - Teilt. Also lining up was Clinton, who is coming into some good form 2 weeks out from his season objective, U23 Paris - Roubaix.. A race with cobbles, made for big monsters like him :) (just joking about the monster part)

Anyway, he attacked in the 1st KM of the race. Took a few guys with him I think, not 100% sure, I followed whatever guys were trying to go across.. Not much happened and I finished 33rd, but more importantly back into racing rhythem. Clinton took the victory which was awesome!

Sunday - Pittem. Most of the guys from Saturday plus some more lined up on Sunday also, as the course for Sunday was 5km from Saturdays course and run by the same organisation.



It was windy as hell, Clinton said, follow me, we are going to break this on the first lap. I didn't quite get his wheel and ended up riding across at the beginning of 2nd lap (of 16 laps). We had maybe 20-30 guys in the front but after 2 laps it was down to 11 riders. Clinton and myself, a rider from beveren 2000, which is quickstep feeder team, 4 guys from Lithuanian national team, and a couple of other random dudes. So obviously with Lithuania having 4 guys out of 11 it was up to them to keep the move away.



About half way through the race it split again and now we were left with 7 in front for the remainder of the race. With 3 laps to go I saw most of the guys in break were pedalling squares and obviously feeling it a bit. Then I heard Clinton say "I don't know if I have another 2 laps in me!" so I thought there must be a few sets of tired legs.



Beginning the 2nd to last lap, around almost a hair pin corner I decided to throw down a test attack, and drove it through the corner, taking 50m straight away, then the gap was growing, 2 guys managed to work their way across to me so we had 3 out front coming into 1 lap to go. They are well known for their sprint ability, I am not known for mine!



I did what I could to get rid of them through the cross wind sections and up the slight incline on the course but together they were able to bring me back. Then out of no where, here comes Clinton, this was good for us as it would be game on again and if I couldn't get away, he could take the sprint. So I sat on the back of the 2 others for a couple of KM while Clinton came across.



He got across, I attacked with 1km to go coming into the main road of the start/finish line, they chased, caught me and Clinton won the sprint. I came in 4th with the next 2 at 1min 40 and the bunch at 4min 50.

So first and fourth for the day was pretty cool. Specially when it's with one of your good mates and training buddy!

As for me, I am pain free for the moment and my condition is obviously still pretty good from Bretagne, so this week will be about building a bit more before the Tour of Belgium starting next Wednesday. My first race with the protour for the year.

Hope everyone is well.

Ryan

No comments: