Sunday, March 22, 2009

Team Presentation 2009

I travelled down to the Wallonion part of Belgium on Thursday for the presentation of Team Lotto-Bodysol. I left home early so I had plenty of time to find my way. After 100km I found myself stuck in a traffic jam on the ring road of brussels. This lasted upward of 40min. I was starting to stress a little bit as the gps said I was 10 minutes late, then 15 minutes late, then finally on my way again. Not long after I recognised a car coming up behind me. It was my team mate and his dad. So I jumped in behind and for a while they thought I was some crazy guy following them. That was until they recognised me then there was a lot of laughing and waving going on. We got there on time thanks to them.

The presentation was held in an old Hotel built in 1873. This was purely for the media so I think there were about 20 people on hand to see the presentation and take photos and do what they do.



The protocol is pretty simple. First you recieve your bike and then the kit for the year. After this is done it's almost like a game of dress up where everyone tries on the casual clothing. We are then introduced one by one to the on lookers after a little bit of socializing with the team and catching up on a winter apart.



So when we are introduced to everyone, they ask a few questions.. for me it was when did you arrive back in Belgium? Your condition is very good after a wonderful season in New Zealand with 2 victories, were you happy with the level of racing and tell us about the win in Tour of Wellington.. and your objectives for the season? thankfully for me they asked in english, I forgot to practice mon francais pour le occasion!



After the team is introduced they talk to the staff for a little bit, along with a special guest from our big brother team. This time the lucky man was Dirk De Wolf, director at Silence-Lotto.



Once all this is done it's time for some pictures! They were nice enough to make it quick as it was freezing, it barely touched 8 degrees!



Then by the time this is done we have been there for a few hours so everyones getting hungry.. That calls for lunch, but not before getting out of the team kit.



Then after everything is said and done and all the little things taken care of I hoped in the car and travelled back home. Luckily no traffic jams this time.

I spent friday putting my bike together, itching to get back on it. I went for my first ride yesterday.. and again today with Clinton who is back living not far down the road.

I have just got my programme of racing for the year and there are some good races for me. Also a lot of racing with the protour which are always good and bring a lot of stories.



Now another story.. earlier in the week Roger and Jennys son Jereon asked if I would like to goto the football with him on Saturday night. I thought yeah it would be cool experiencing it.. Football is huge here.. Belgians like 4 things.. Cycling, Football, Frites and Beer. or more like BEER! Little did I know at the time what I was getting myself into!

I got picked up at 2.30, we went down to the square and had a couple of beers in the afternoon sun. We then went to another pub, the pub of football. From here we caught the bus down to Brussels for the game. I was told it was going to be a funny bus trip. Everyone puts in 10euro for beer on the bus.. 20 or 25 crates of it!! and don't worry between 16 odd people it got finished off pretty good! We arrived at the stadium and the whole bus was in chant for the home team. The team we support, Andernecht! The purple gorilla! They were playing neighbours Antwerpen so it was a big game. It was amazing inside the stadium. 70,000 capacity and it was chocker!!

There were a few moments when the ref made wrong decisions and by the noise of the crowd I thought there was going to be a riot! Luckily enough we won 2-0 to goto the top of the Division 1 league. Sorry didn't get any pictures. Camera is flat.

We were in the part of the stand behind the goal standing in amongst all the drunken supporters who were giving the opposing goal keeper death!

After the match it was back on the bus for the trip home. It's about an hour. For 30 minutes they chanted the night away. Then they were all pretty much asleep by the time we arrived back in Roeselare. I got home around 12, while the others were rumoured to still be at it around 6am, with some getting home at 9am!

It was definately an experience and plans are already being made to goto the next game if I'm not too busy with racing and things.

Thats enough for me tonight. Still trying to get the position sorted on my bike. Should come right in a couple of days!



I will be back with more stories in a couple of days. Looks like I will do my first race, a 3 day tour beginning 3rd April.

Until next time.

No comments: